Happy Memorial Day! I hope you’re all enjoying a lovely holiday. Our weekend has been really great so far.
Friday was a date night. Chris and I planned a very exciting vacation that I’ll be sure to share soon. I cooked dinner. We watched The Help, and it was excellent. I cried.
Saturday I woke up and went on a bike ride with my Jersey City girls group in Liberty State Park.
It was hot and humid! I should have worn more sunscreen because I got a pretty nasty burn. Other than that, it was good. After our ride, Chris met up with me and we biked some more including a stop at our local farmer’s market
We made our way to lunch at a new place in Jersey City called Skylark on the Hudson. The food was good. The service was not, but, like I said, they’re pretty new, so maybe they’re still working out the kinks?
Skylark Salad, very good. Service, not so good.
Sunday we had double the BBQs, double the fun. First, we swung through our friends’ Lindsey and Steve’s for some chatting and beer drinking.
Then we headed up the road to Chris’ family’s houe for a never ending meal. It was so delicious. We left early because, this morning, we had a race! We ran the Memorial Day 4 Miler in Staten Island with Chris’ cousin and her boyfriend. I’ll do a super short recap tomorrow, but it was fun and incredibly hot.
I’d thought I’d check in with a review of how my base building is going so far. We’re 1/3 of the way through at this point, and I have to say, I’m really liking it.
As a reminder, this was the proposed plan
And this is how it’s been going so far:
- estimated distance: 15 miles
- Monday- Strength Trained
- Tuesday- Ran 35 minutes for 3.25 miles
- Wednesday- Strength Trained
- Thursday- Ran 45 minutes for 4.1 miles
- Friday- Ran 35 minutes for 3.25 miles
- Saturday- Walked 5 miles
- Sunday- Ran 60 minutes for 5.5 miles
- actual distance- 16.1 miles
Not too shabby. I was actually surprised by how I was able to fit it all in. My strength training routine takes about 35 minutes and doesn’t get me nearly as sweaty as a run in this humidity so I was able to squeeze it in at times where a run definitely wouldn’t be possible.
- estimated distance: 18 miles
- Monday- Rest, glorious rest
- Tuesday- Ran 35 minutes for 3.3 miles
- Wednesday- Strength Trained
- Thursday- Ran 45 minutes for 4 miles
- Friday- Ran 35 minutes for 3.3 miles
- Saturday- Bike 17 miles
- Sunday- Ran 60 minutes for 5.45 miles
- actual distance 16.05 miles
The humidity just killed me this week. I started out strong sticking to the schedule on Tuesday and Thursday, but Friday’s run was brutal. Every step just seemed so much harder than it should have been, so we made the decision to cut it short. As for yesterday, we were a little tight on time with all the BBQs coming up and a bit nervous about the 4 mile race today, so we capped our run at 60 minutes, and I was struggling again, so that was fine with me.
Truthfully, I’m a little nervous about how all these runs are going. I’ve been running really consistently since the half marathon in April, but I’ve been struggling on 3 out of every 4 runs, and my pace is significantly slower than it was during training. I know I’m not actively training for anything right now, so I’m making a conscious effort not to put too much weight on forward progress, and I’m hoping that much of this has to do with the rapid rise in temperature over the past few weeks, but I’d be lying if I said I weren’t nervous and frustrated quite often after runs these days.
I also made a decision regarding strength training. Until I get to a place where I can learn better form, I am currently only doing the following exercises:
- Bicep Curls 5 lbs, 15 reps
- Tricep Kickbacks, 5 lbs, 15 reps
- Rows, 5 lbs, 15 reps
- Plank, 30 seconds,
- Hip Raises, 15 reps
- Bicycle Crunches 15-20
- Monday- 4 mile race
- Tuesday- rest day
- Wednesday- run 55 minutes
- Thursday- run 35 minutes
- Friday- rest day
- Saturday- run 35-90 minutes (wide range, I know, I’m not sure how many wedding things we’ll need to do that day)
- Sunday- rest day
- Monday- Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken (I did not make this yesterday due to the BBQs)
- Tuesday- Pasta with Broccoli, Artichokes and Roasted Red Peppers, Salad
- Wednesday- Leftovers
- Thursday- Takeout
- Friday- out
- Saturday- out
- Sunday- out