It’s October! What a month! Sweaters and jeans and boots and pumpkins and apple pies and perfect running weather. October is kind of great.
Here’s an update on my progress for my yearly goals:
Complete 12 random acts of kindness– Done!16 actually. Look at me now. Pay off my car– Done!
- Donate 24 hours of my time-16 hours in, 8 hours to go. This is really just a rough estimate. With fall recruitment going on at Alpha Chi Omega, I feel as if every free moment is time donated to the sorority, but that’s probably not the case. Still, I can’t imagine how the collegians are doing it AND going to classes. Amazing. They amaze me.
Run 2 half marathons– Done! Rutgers Unite and Newport!This makes me so happy. I listed this mostly as a pipe dream thinking that there was no way I’d find the time to consistently train for two half marathons in one year, so I’m really thrilled that I made it happen.
Learn 3 new skills– Done!Um, zero this month that I can think of. How sad is that? I’ve been studying a lot for my CIA certification exam so it’s not like I haven’t been learning, but it’s not exactly a skill, so the total stands at 6. Read 12 books– Done!I’m up to 13 since I finished The Beach Trees. Currently, I’m reading Game of Thrones: A Clash of Kings. So good. So addicting, but long, so, between that and studying, I probably won’t be reading nearly as many books for the rest of this year.
Miles run- 71 for a total of 515.87 for the year.
In October I’m looking forward to:
- Devouring some Monk’s mussels and craft beers (as well as probably more than our share of late night Wawa goodies) when we visit Travis and Laura in Philly!
- A relaxing (but study filled) Columbus Day
- Destroying my CIA Part IV exam (please think happy thoughts for me on the morning of 10/15)
- Checking out NYC Food & Wine’s Meatpacking Uncorked (terrible name, hopefully fun event!) with Debbie and Mike!
- Celebrating Moshi’s first birthday! Yay baby cat!
- Moving to our new deluxe apartment in the sky!
- Hopefully catching some of the Rutgers Homecoming game on the interwebs. It’s the same weekend as the move. boo 😦
- Getting more than 3 trick or treaters (fingers crossed). Our new apartment is right next to the elevator, so I’m hoping we actually get a good turnout. I love Halloween and all the adorable little trick or treaters make my night.
I didn’t make too much progress on my fall to-do list, but that’s because it hasn’t really felt like fall around here. This is the first week where temperatures have actually been cool enough to justify fall clothes, so I haven’t had much motivation to do fall things. Still, I always wait too long to do thinks like apple picking since once it’s cold out, it’s too late. Not this year. This year, the apples are mine
- Apple Picking
- Applesauce makin’ and Apple Pie bakin’
My 1st Pumpkin Latte of the seasonthoroughly enjoyed the Monday morning after the Newport Half. It was my little treat to myself, and it was perfect.
- Baking pumpkin muffins
- Drive upstate to check out the foliage and a new to us town
- Running the HoBOOken Halloween 5k
- Making an amazing gluten free side dish to bring to Thanksgiving
- Making a donation to our local food bank before Thanksgiving
- Watching the Nightmare before Christmas
- Running in Central Park
- Visiting the Met
Any other suggestions for fun fall festivities??
What about you? How will you make this fall fantastic?