I love August. Both my sister’s birthdays are in August (they’re actually the same day 11 years apart. how cool is that?), and I know it sounds crazy, but I love the dog days of summer. I like the heat. Bring it on.
Here’s an update on my progress for my yearly goals:
Complete 12 random acts of kindness– Done!Obviously, I’ll keep doing these, but I’m so happy I was able to achieve this goal. Felt good doing it! Pay off my car– Done!
- Donate 24 hours of my time-6 hours in, 18 hours to go. I’ve been working more with my sorority, but it’s hard to gauge the time commitment. I’m going to say that I probably spent about 4 hours this month reading and responding to emails and planning our initial retreat. Said retreat is this month, so I expect even more hours in August.
- Run 2 half marathons– Not yet. We’re still halfway there, and I know that I said we’d run the Jersey Shore Half, but there’s actually a change of plans. This summer has been jam packed with so many fun things, which is amazing, but it also means that we’ve been busy almost every single night and weekend. That’s not really conducive to a training plan. Chris and I gave it a shot and stuck with the plan for two weeks, but once we realized that we were just stressing ourselves out, we decided to change course. We’re still running, but we’re not on a training plan, and we’re hoping to find a half marathon in late November which should allow us to start training in September. Any ideas??
- Learn 3 new skills– 0 this month for a total of 5. That doesn’t feel right, so I’m hoping I just forgot something, but if I can’t remember it, it probably wasn’t too important anyway.
Read 12 books– Done!This month I finished Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire (review coming soon!) for a total of 12 books for the year. I skipped a book club selection for the first time ever and felt like a total rebel, and I’m inclined to skip this month too because Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet seems wildly depressing, but it also looks interesting, so maybe I’ll give it a go. Chris just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King and can’t stop raving about it, so that’s definitely on my “to-read” list as well.
Miles run- 55.3 for a total of 367.87 for the year. (plus 69 miles biked in July!)
Don’t think I forgot about my summer goals and bucket list either!
Get thee to yoga!-Totally gotten! I tried both rooftop yoga and outdoor yoga in Hoboken for a total of 4 hours yoga’d. That means I went once a week, every week this month. Go me! I can notice a difference too. Not only do I feel more flexible and stable on my runs, but I also feel more relaxed and grounded. I’m so glad that I went when I did because now I feel like I can really appreciate and enjoy the rest of summer.
- Explore Jersey City
- Take a hike- No hikes yet, but I did find this great resource for finding potential spots to hike around New York and New Jersey, so I’m more excited than ever to check it out.
Get to the beach!!-Done! A few weekends ago, Chris and I went to Long Branch, NJ. We ran along the boardwalk, got lunch and lounged on the beach. The traffic and parking situation were miserable, but it’s always worth it after that first moment when you sink your toes into the sand and just listen to the waves crashing all around you. I love the beach, and I love New Jersey.
Don’t think I forgot about my Summer Bucket List either!
Go see Brave– very, very cute.
- Go see an outdoor movie!
- Go to Artichoke Pizza and Hill Country BBQ
- Take the bikes to Central Park
- Bike Summer Streets
See some fireworks BBQ!
- Walk over to Torico’s now that it’s back in business for some after dinner, summer nights, ice cream
- Check out Groove on Grove
- Visit the Central Park Zoo
- Go to a Mets game
- Run a small town 5k
- Walk the Brooklyn Bridge
Bike from WTC, back to NJ over the George Washington Bridgeoh we definitely did this one!
- Dust off my passport
- Watch the sunset with that favorite boy of mine
Not bad at all, and we’ve still got a month of summer left! I don’t have any August specific goals (I think I’ve set quite enough already), so I think I’ll just keep ticking away at these. Any goal list that includes “go eat ice cream” is fine by me.
Now tell me, how to you plan to make August awesome?